Department of Oral Pathology
Oral Pathology & Microbiology deals with understanding the cause, nature, characteristics, identification and effects of diseases affecting oral and maxillofacial regions there by facilitating patient management. The department also teaches other subjects such as Dental anatomy, Oral Histology, Oral Embryology, Oral Physiology and Forensic Odontology. The department has good infrastructure and is well equipped to diagnose diseases affecting head and neck regions using histopathological & laboratory techniques.The department has well qualified & dedicated teaching faculty. The post-graduation course in the department started in the year 2011 with 2 candidates per year. The Department is also involved in many interdisciplinary research projects in collaboration with other departments.
TRAINING PROGRAMME: Undergraduates
- The department teaches Dental Anatomy, Oral Histology, Oral Embryology and Oral Physiology for the students of IBDS and Oral pathology to II BDS & III BDS students.
- I BDS students are taught carving of teeth to facilitate learning of tooth morphology&identification of oral histological details by way of studying histological slides. This enables them identify basic concepts, terminologies and morphology of dental structures.
- II BDS & III BDS students are taught various pathological conditions of oral & paraoral region. Students are taught about pathogenesis, varied clinical manifestations, histological appearances and management of the oral diseases.
- Identifying normal features are taught in basic classes and further abnormal or pathology is taught in higher class. Practical & lecture classes are conducted regularly for all the three years of students.
Postgraduate Couse is of 3 years duration. It offers comprehensive learning of principles of experimental and diagnostic pathology of oral diseases which prepares students for a career in teaching, academic research and practice in specialty of Oral and maxillofacial pathology.
- Seminars, Discussions, Journal article reviews and Clinical case discussions
- Innovative teaching techniques
- Collaboration with the other dental and medical departments to improve postgraduate learning
- Histopathological diagnosis
Message from HOD
The Department of Oral Pathology & Microbiology is dedicated in training students, by providing a strong academic foothold and environment which lays the foundation to the course of Dentistry. We guide our best in the learning process of our undergraduate and postgraduate students. Better understanding of the subject is achieved by involving the students in didactic lectures, discussion, demonstrations, practical classes etc. The students are provided individual attention by way of small group teaching of 6-8 students. The teaching faculty are enthusiastic, knowledgeable and committed to teaching excellence.
Undergraduate course involves training students in Dental Anatomy & Histology, Oral Physiology and Oral Pathology along with Forensic Odontology. The postgraduate courses encourage learning from Basic Sciences to applied aspects of Oral Pathology. It is course of 3 years duration which prepares students for a career in research, teaching, and practice in the specialty of Oral and maxillofacial pathology.The students are trained in understanding and diagnosing diseases, lesions, benign & malignant tumours of the Head and Neck region. The department provides services in surgical pathology, cytology and hematology. Ithas collection of 17-years of biopsy archives with rare & interesting cases, museum with good collection of both hard & soft tissue pathology specimens and teaching models which provides good learning opportunity for the students.
Professor & Head