Criteria to Pass in the University Examination:
For declaration of pass in a subject, a candidate shall secure 50% marks in the University examination both in Theory and Practical / Clinical examinations separately, as stipulated below;
- For pass in Theory, a candidate shall secure 50% marks in aggregate in University theory examination i.e. marks obtained in University written examination, viva voce examination and internal assessment (theory) combined together i.e. fifty out of One hundred.
- In the University Practical / clinical examination, a candidate shall secure 50% of University Practical marks i.e.45/90 marks and 50% of total marks in aggregate i.e. Practical / Clinical and Internal Assessment combined together i.e. 50/100 marks.
- In case of pre-clinical Prosthetic Dentistry and Pre-Clinical Conservative Dentistry, Where there is no written examination, minimum for pass is 50% of marks in Practical and Viva voce combined together in University Examination (i.e.40/80 marks) and 50 % of marks in aggregate including Internal Assessment i.e. 50/100.
- GRACE MARKS: Grace marks upto a maximum of 5 marks may be awarded to students who have failed only in one subject but passed in all other subjects.
- Successful candidates who obtain 65% of the total marks or more shall be declared to have passed the examination in First Class. Other successful candidates will be placed in Second class. A candidate who obtains 75% and above is eligible for Distinction. A candidate who will pass the whole examination in the first attempt will be eligible for distinction or class.
CRITERIA FOR DECLARING AS PASS
To pass in the University examination, a candidate shall secure in both theory examination and the practical/clinical including viva voce independently an aggregate of 50% of total marks allotted (50 out of 100 marks in Part-I examination and 150 marks out of 300 in Part-II examination in theory and 150 out of 300 in clinical plus viva voce together). A candidate securing less mark as described above shall be declared to have failed in the examination.
A candidate who is declared successful in the MDS Examination shall be granted a Degree of Master of Dental Surgery in the respective specialty. A candidate who fails either in Theory or Practical has to appear for both theory and practical subsequently for pass criteria.